Established in 2012, the Golden Visa Program aims to attract foreign investors to reside and invest in Portugal. Once in possession of a GV, investors are allowed to travel within the Schengen area without the need of a visa. The investor can also then apply to extend the residency to their immediate family members. The Goldens visa Program is still valid for the Algarve.
To qualify for a Golden Visa the applicant must meet at least one of the following conditions:
- Capital transfer
- Transfer of capital to Portugal of at least 1 million €.
- Or transfer of 250.000 € or 350.000 € either to artistic production or to research by scientific institutions integrated into the national scientific system or to acquire shares in investment funds or venture capital funds dedicated to the capitalization of companies incorporated under Portuguese law.
- Real Estate investment
- Acquisition of real estate in Portugal valued equal to or greater than 500.000 €.
- Acquisition of real estate in Portugal where construction was completed 30 years prior or is located in an urban regeneration area with the implementation of renovation works valued equal to or greater than 350.000 €.
- Job creation
- Formation of at least 10 permanent job positions in Portugal.